View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fresh start with Scotch/Whiskey and single malt

I don't have much experience with web sites, as most of my experience has come from just sampling what friends have or trying different stuff at bars, etc. I think that's the best way to do it because no amount of info you can read online is going to tell you what you like until you have some tasting experience and can look for scotches that share similarities with what you have already enjoyed.

That being said, don't look to the johnny red as being representative of good scotch. I think the stuff is barely palatable. Others may disagree, obviously. For a blended scotch in the same price range as the johnny red, I prefer dewars white label. For a better blend, try Chivas or Dewars 12. For intros into single malt, try the glenlivet 12 and macallan 12. I think you can find the little bottles of each at a decent liquor store. These are highland scotches. I'd start there before moving onto the islays, which have a stronger flavor a scotch novice may not like.

One of the nice things about scotch, like cigars, is that someone else may read my post and completely disagree with what I've written. Good luck and enjoy.