View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A few first humidor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetnoir View Post
As a new member and new(ish) cigar smoker I am negotiating the slippery slope with as much cautious abandon as I can. It helps that I am jobless at the moment and also living at home again (yes … with mom). I have placed an order with Daniel Marshall for one of their stock sale specials. I expect to take delivery of 125 count (coronas) humidor.
I have some questions that are not exactly addressed on their website, nor did I find any information by doing a search here. Hopefully a few of the members here can help.

BTW, I know that someone is already gearing up to tell me that I should go bigger or build a coolerdor or get a Vino. Seriously, I have severe space limitations and I do not anticipate acquiring a significantly large collection of sticks very rapidly. I do think that investing in a quality humidor right now makes all practical sense for me and I am very happy with my choice. That being said, I have the following questions:

The manufacturer’s website states that their humidors do not require seasoning prior to being used.
Should I trust them on this as far as seasoning goes and just calibrate the hydrometer and drop the sticks in when everything in the humi reads that it is ready to go?

I may in fact receive some sticks prior to the Humidor being delivered. Will they keep well in a few ziplocks that have 69% Boveda Humidipaks in them? How many sticks should I put in each ziplock?

Regarding the humidifier. I believe that DM uses a Credo 70 in their humidors. I have seen a tutorial on the heartfelt website on how to remove the foam and replace it with beads. I would like to do this and I am wondering if an order for two 2 oz. bags from Shilala will fit the empty Credo. Would anyone recommend doing this?

That’s all I have for now. I am a bit amped to be getting my first humidor and I hope to have a pic or two to post when it arrives.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mason
I;d calibrate and season myself. The sticks will be ok in a ziploc for days. You defniitely want to get rid of the credo. Not used Scott's beads, but 2 oz would probably be sufficient.

Get a digital hygrometer. The analogs are notoriously hard to calibrate, if they ever do.

Welcome to the slope...