Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #204
Vitis

Default Re: The Wine Thread

Had a few wines on Weds and Thursday nights while relaxing at home and having some great food. My type of holiday.

Capdevila Pujol Cava Reserva Especial
I had picked up some paddlefish caviar on the spur of the moment while I was at Whole Foods and when I got home I realized that I did not have any Champagne in the apt. I had figured i was stick drinking chard with caviar and crème fraîche (not a good mix) but after fishing around in some boxes of samples I had in the spare room I found this Cava thats prpbably been there for over a year. This wine is made by Blancher Cava and is made of Xarel-lo, Macabeu and Parellada. Anyways.. The nose is clean with yeasty bready notes. Much less bubbles than Champagne with a fatter style mousse, and flavors of nuts and more yeast. Nice crispness on the finish. A pleasant surprise. I don’t usually drink Cava but for $$ this is decent. Approximate retail $15

2006 Jean-Marc Millot Côte de Nuits Villages "Aux Faulques"
Paired this Pinot with a dry aged ribeye. I have been a fan of this house for many years and this entry level 06 is a great example of why. Very intense wide open nose of dark fruit, mixed berries and sweet spice. Medium to heavy weight in the mouth, fruit punch style berry flavors, very ripe, nice acidity and more tannin than expected. This wine is delicious, the fruit is extremely clean and vibrant, and the follow through is excellent. Very fine for a CdN Villages, and I would buy more of this in a heartbeat. In past vintages this has been called "Clos des Faulques", but I’m not sure why it was changed in 06'. Approximate retail $35

2006 Huber-Verdereau Volnay
Drank with a nice rare piece of prime rib on Christmas night. This Domaine was founded in 1994 and Thiébault Huber has made some great wines so far. Unfortunately this was not one of them. The nose started out extremely tight, showing almost nothing, eventually giving way to animale and wet earth aromatics. Light to medium weight in the mouth with more similar flavors, and some black fruit. The wine is not very balanced and has a shrillness to it in which the acid outweighs the fruit. Disappointing as I have had some wonderful 05's from this producer. I did have a glass today and it had gained a little weight but was still not what one would hope for. Approximate retail $45

Cheers
~Vitis