View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #132
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Anyone cold smoking this winter? I cold smoke Linguica for like 30 minutes before air drying in my fridge. Would like to cold smoke some cheese and smoked salt is a must have!.
Moses, one of the reasons I bought an electric unit with great insulation, any weather is no bother and it does the job no matter what.

Regarding you oak comments above, TX and MA samples, one thing to look for is weather, the colder the weather the denser the wood, even for same species of oak, which the two are (same). Main reason "French" barrels are preferred for aging wine is the density of wood (less air transmission and oak taste that is different as well), which is denser in Europe than it is here. Historically, French used to buy all their oak in Eastern Europe (Carpatian Mountains) for a reason, it is denser than it is in the woods of France (warmer climate). WWII stopped that, of course.

As you noted, one should see oak difference between TX and MA. But then one reason Bourbon tastes like it does is the use of warmer climate oak for barrels and there are more wineries now using it as well. Spain and Oz have been for some time now.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote