View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Properly Seasoning a New Humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethegoalie32 View Post
Does one need to season a humidor after a certain amount of time, or is first time all?
I bought my humidor within the last two years. Winter seasons see me having great difficulty maintaining humidity in it. I have a rather large humidor for a beginner (around space for at least 1000 cigars) but will only have about 60 in it within a week. I use the gel capsules and find in winter I really struggle to keep it at 70% and normally find me dropping in the mid to low 60s... how can I fix this?
One would be to get more cigars. Cigar help maintain an even, constant humidity. Seeing as you fill only about 6% of that humi, the other 94% could be filled with cigar boxes or spanish cedar to help buffer it a little.
Winter has been notoriously bad for me with humidity. Keep your humi away from windows and doors, as the change in ambient temp can make your RH fluctuate.

Also, do you have any glass tops or door to your humi? Humidity can leak through the seam between the glass and the wood.