View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #42
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reliable Torch Lighter?

I picked up one of the Brown Leather Ave Maria branded LOTUS Laser torches (same as the black leather CI branded one) on Cigar Bid to fill out an order. So far I'm not overly impressed. The flame height is about that of an unregulated (i.e. brass restrictor shim removed) Ronson Jetlite, but it mis-fires about 25% of the time. With the flame adjusted all the way up, it often fires w/ butane from only about 3/4 of the nozzle. To get a consistent flame I have to back off to about 85% of max on the dial.

In terms of build quality, the leather inlay is nice but the metal portions are clear-coated (likely mild steel) and not bare brushed stainless as they appear in the picture. Also, the single-action cover has a bit of play and doesn't align 100% flush. I have a feeling LOTUS makes this model only for OEM branding and it wouldn't be up to snuff as part of their regular line. For the $10 I paid (often available on CB for only $7) it's not the worst money I've ever spent, but I wouldn't pay $13-$16 shipped, and surely not $25-$30 from CI, for this lighter on its own.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote