View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
-MG-

Default Peeking down the pipe slope, about to jump.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to throw a couple of questions at the "New Pipe Smoker With A Question?" thread, or start my own, but I figured since I had never popped my head in this corner of the forum I might as well say hi first.

Soo... Hi

Since I haven't bought any new cigars in months due mostly to my cigar budget being cut back, er.. obliterated, I thought I'd check into the pipe side of the house to see if it was any less expensive, and unless I'm mistaken, it looks like it *can* be if I can withstand the slopeage. I've read through most the posts here, and quite a number of the links that were given out for other newbies, and I think I've got the general gist of things, but I do have a few questions.

1) Can somebody please give me a ballpark guestimate how many bowls I could expect to get out of 1oz of pipe tobacco, in a generic (legend?) sized cob pipe?

2) Are cob pipes standard enough I should be able to find a local b&m that carries them? It seems silly to get them online when they cost as much as the shipping does.

3) In your opinion, is it worth the investment to get a pipe lighter when starting out, or should I wait to make sure I enjoy the hobby first? (will matches or a bic suffice while I'm learning the ropes?)

Thanks,
Kris