View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Turkish Coffee - Legal Drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent
... We boiled coffee in a large enamelware "camp pot" as a kid, with coffee ground in the hand grinder, but the grind was nowhere near as fine as a real Turkish. My impression must have been until now that it would be "gritty."
I think the powdered sludge concept always scared me away from turkish style coffee. A BOTL sent me an ibrik and some cardamon-seasoned beans last year, however, so I made the jump to try it out. Fact is, I never got around to posting details until today for reasons* which are, as yet, unrevealed.

Depending on your grinder the sludge in french press brew will likely be more bothersome than that in turkish coffee. The powdered turkish grind is so fine (and softened by the long boiling soak) that it is practically unnoticeable if/when you sip it. In fact, you'll need more visual cue than tongue/tactile cue to know when you've finally sipped some grounds. The effect of sipping some grounds is that the coffee gradually went from rich to syrupy - not gritty at all. Our arab and oriental brothers all but invented coffee so they had something to drink with their baklava. They wouldn't be drinking it this way for centuries if it was nasty. It is nectar not to be forgotten.

So, lets get busy and start working on your middle-east enculturation process, people. It's a big coffee world out there and we need to be visiting all the different coffee playgrounds. Heh heh. Get it? Play "grounds"? Heh heh heh.

* reason(s) two posts above. weird, isn't it?