View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Guinness to Release Foreign Extra Stout in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
The US TTB approved label clearly says "Product of Ireland" and "Brewed in Ireland, St. James Gate". See attachment, and compare this to a Guinness Draught or Extra Stout, both of which say they are products of Canada.
The basis of all of the Guinness brews is Guinness wort which is shipped to their many breweries across the globe where it is then added to the local brewery's fermenters. The wort is made in Ireland. The final product is technically "brewed" in other countries. So they can still technically say it was "Brewed in Ireland" because part of it was actually made there. (Like calling a La Gloria Cubana Serie R a Dominican cigar even though the wrapper was grown in Ecuador...)

I would guess that this is almost certainly the case with this. However that's just a guess and there is certainly room for error on my part.

I don't see the feasibility of upkeeping a supply chain shipment from Ireland to the US of a mass produced beer like this. The costs would be far too high and margins would be far too low. It makes more logical sense that they would do exactly what they do in Canada (or Jamaica) since these are locations far closer and far less time in transit between them and the US.

P.S. Not denying the obvious... it DOES say "Product of Ireland" but don't underestimate those marketing guys... they are sneaky little fellas!

Also, after looking a little more closely... the Jamaican Guinness is in fact called FES... it too is an 11.2oz bottle however, it weighs in at a mere 6.5% ABV. So there are some similarities and some obvious differences.

Last edited by ninjavanish; 09-22-2010 at 02:53 PM.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote