Thread: Michelada
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Michelada

Back in the days when I was down in Mexico a lot my friends made these often and got me hooked. Great drink for when it's 125 degrees out in the desert. Though, I seem to remember them being adamant about there being a distinct difference between a "Chelada" and a "Michelada" both similar ideas but different in execution.

At first the idea of it was off-putting and the taste and texture took some getting used to.

We made ours differently though, usually in a big 1L mug, Salt the rim using lime juice instead of water. Fill 1/2 with ice. Squeeze at least half (more to taste) of the lime into the mug. Fill 1/3 to 1/2 with Clamato. Fill to top with Tecate. Add Hot Sauce, Worschershire, and a dash of celery salt to taste. Give it a gentle stir.

I liked mine much spicier than most of my friends so I ended up using a hotter hot sauce, while they tended to use something along the lines of Tabasco or Crystal or whatever was available at the time. I also took it really light on the celery salt whereas some of them used it more. The cool thing about this drink is you can mess with the recipe a good bit and still be drinking something that's cold, refreshing, and different.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote