Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for Tangy Cold Slaw Recipe

Hey, never noticed this thread until now. Here's my recipe that I've brought to herfs many times...

------------
----
Coleslaw Recipe:
Group A:
1 head of cabbage, about 1.5-1.75 lbs, cored and shredded
1 medium red onion shredded fine
1 cup refined white sugar

Group B:
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (do not use canola or corn oil)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (reduce to 3/4 teaspoon if using table salt)
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon refined white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons whole brown mustard seed
1-1/2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed

Preparing Group A
Place cabbage and onion in large bowl, pour cup of sugar over the top, toss all ingredients well to ensure that all are evenly coated with the sugar. Cover bowl/seal tupperware, place in refrigerator.

Preparing Group B
Using a mortar and pestle, coarsely crush/crack both the brown and yellow mustard seeds, you don't have to pulverize them, nor is it necessary to get every single one. If you have a small mortar, you might have to do them in batches.

Once the mustard seeds have been cracked, add them, along with all other ingredients from group B into a non-reactive saucepan that has a tight fitting lid. Bring to boil, stirring a bit to dissolve the sugar and salt, then reduce to simmer and place lid on saucepan. Simmer for 3 minutes and remove from heat. Using a spatula to leave no mustard seed behind, pour the sauce/dressing into a pyrex measuring cup or other heat proof container, cover with saran wrap, place in refrigerator to cool completely and then some - about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or so.

After the dressing is cool, you'll probably notice that cabbage has sweat down to about 50% of it's original bulk and there is puddle of cabbage water at the bottom of the container - this is normal and desirable. Pour dressing over the top, stir/toss and return to the refrigerator overnight (8-12 hours) for best flavor.

If you wish to reduce oil, you could probably cut back to about 1/3 of a cup oil, but you probably don't want to go much lighter than that, or you'll end up with a sweet sauerkraut rather than coleslaw.

-------

Couple of notes -
Use vegetable oil. I know that canola oil is a common kitchen staple for most, but don't substitute as canola oil doesn't take well to the boiling and it ends up tasting kind of gross (at least it did when I tried it).

If you like tiny bit more of a mustard flavor, you can up the amount of seeds or add a teaspoon or two of a simple brown mustard (like Goulden's - just make sure it does not have horseradish, or beer, or honey or chardonnay or any of that fancy gourmet stuff in it).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote