View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #1771
txsmoke

Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Ok, I gotta get in on the action of the smoking. I currently have a nice gas grill, but I know it's not as good as charcoal. One of my musts for this summer is to smoke up a nice brisket.

Anyway, what would you recommend for a noob smoker-in terms of a grill, a rub, and maybe a lesson on maintaining your temps with some degree of accuracy over long cooking periods without constantly going up/down? Thanks!
I love my Traeger and like playing around with the pellets and mixing them for different flavors. I also have a "stick burner" but have not been using it as much.

As far as rubs. I have used Texas BBQ Rub over the past few years and will never use another one. They have actually won the people's choice award at the American Royal numerous times and the Grand Champion of the Texas Rodeo BBQ Cook-off used their rub (I signed up for their free monthly newsletter. This past newsletter announced this). I am not sure if the promo is still going but here is a special they are running because three of the rubs were used by those that placed in the top 8 for brisket at the Rodeo Cook-off in february.

http://www.texasbbqrubspecials.com/?page_id=2