Thread: Port Aging
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Vitis

Default Re: Port Aging

Unfiltered LBV theoreticaly can improve with some age (although Ive never aged any) but since it is made to be consumed early why wait? Similar with crusted, its multi-vintage blended to be drunk without having to cellar, so I say drink within a few years.

The other option to save a few bucks is Singe Quinta Vintage Ports. They are made in years that are undeclared port vintages, and some can a age a very long time. Quinta de Bonfim (Dows), Quinta de Vargellas (Taylor) are some you can check out. The aged single quinta wines I have tried have been excelllent, but never reach the level of a great Vintage port like 63' 77' 83' or 85' port from a house like Fonseca or Taylor.

For me, I say drink 10 year tawny and cellar vintage for as long as you can hold out.

One last thought is that due the alcohol and viscosity of Vintage port, buying older vintages is a good way to go as storage conditions will play a lesser effect on the wine. Would I want some that had been sitting at 85 degrees for a summer? No. But less then optimal conditions that might destroy a Champagne could be liveable for port. I purchased plenty of 77' 83' and 85' in the 1990's and had good luck with everything I have opened so far.

Cheers
~Vitis