Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation
Default Re: Coin Collecting/Buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

On the other hand, a proof is perfect.
Proofs are also graded on the 0-70 scale just like uncirculated coins. And a perfect proof graded PF-70 is still quite rare.

Proofs will usually be better in terms of collectability, but unless that particular date ends up being a rarity, it's unlikely to ever recoup the markup for being a proof. Which is why those 1965+ yearly proof sets are not very desirable/valuable.

Even better yet for collecting and future value would be buying graded and slabbed coins. And graded proofs would be even better.

About buying current coins:

You are better off buying from ebay. There are some rare dates (like the 1986 & 1996), but in general, silver eagles are just bullion and their price/value will be based off the 1oz price of silver. So you know you got a good deal if you paid close to spot price and you're getting ripped off if you are paying much more than spot. There will always be a premium over spot, which is ~$14 right now, so that $18.95 price is pretty fair. The mint is not really in the business of making profit

I actually don't even know how dealers are able to order bulk from the mint and they must get them at spot prices, because otherwise, I'd be placing bulk orders myself.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote