View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's the Difference Between Loose Leaf and Teabags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Flavorwise, what's the difference? Is loose leaf superior to teabags, and if so, with my inexperienced palate would I notice any difference?
Night and day really. The first thing you'll notice about whole leaves is they're not as "strong" tasting as broken leaves or fannings and dust used in bags. The flavors are more subtle, but there's so much more there to taste. Non-broken blacks are hard to find but can be gotten.

Generally, when I think whole leaf, I think green, oolong, or mao cha(the leaves before they are pressed into cakes for pu-erh). These teas are not cream and sugar, but straight drinkers as cream and sugar would mask everything. I know I sound like a broken record, but if you go this route, get a cheap gaiwan and experiment with gong fu brewing (lots of leaf, very short infusion times).

The other thing about whole leaf is they are more "durable." There are whole leaf blacks that can take 5 short steeps. There are good oolongs and pu-erhs which I get 20-30 steeps out of (small cup a la the Chinese is the route).

Probably more than you wanted to hear.