View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Am I the Only Guy Who Doesn't Like a Bunch of Hops?

Stella may be the Budweiser of Belgium... but go to Belgium and order a Budweiser.

As a matter of fact, go to almost any country outside of the US and order a Budweiser... many people here get the impression that Budweiser is not a respected beer worldwide... while in fact it remains one of the best selling beers world wide. Hence, you can literally order it in an inordinate number of bars and restaurants in the world... I don't personally think it's the best beer, far from it, but there is something about it's flavor profile and characteristics which appeal to a very wide variety of palates. (Guinness of course being the most widely sold pint on the planet, 10M Pints sold Worldwide DAILY!!! That's 2B per year)

As far as Budweisers of Belgium... you could look to a brand called Bavik. Yellow, frothy, virtually flavorless... But oh man is it good ice cold on a hot day. This was a beer fridge staple of mine when I lived in Tucson. (125 degree days necessitate clear, cold brews) And at less than $6 per 6-pack... it's in line with some of even the most generic of american beers. (Yuengling)

You're right, ODLS, Dogfishhead 120 is in fact a very high ABV and yes... is probably more akin to a barleywine... but at 120 ibu's... come on... where does one draw the line? I clearly draw mine a little more to the middle of the road... preferring balance and refreshment as a trump to extravagantly intense flavor... MOST of the time... (La Fin Du Monde however sweet and intense it may be still reigns as an all time fav) If I'm looking for something that flavorful...Most of the time I'll switch to a nice single malt. (DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!! RAMMING SPEED!)

And before I forget, While Stella remains my Belgian mistress (however promiscuous she may be) my all time favorite is in fact probably a close tie between Westmalle Trippel, Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale, or Orval Trappist (Which smells like pee but tastes like heaven... at least to me).
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote