Thread: Steak recipe?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Steak recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Camo is right about salting them first. Since I've started doing this, I've been extremely happy with my steaks. Couple of points:

-I know nothing about kosher salt. I use sea salt.
-One hour is too long for me. I've cut it to 40 min. It does depend on how thick the steaks are and how much salt you use, but I cover thoroughly and use timer to quit at 40 min. One hour and the meat tastes too salty for me.
-He doesn't mention it, but after you've let them sit with the salt, rinse them off very well with running room-temp water. Don't rinse well enough and you'll find them too salty.

I have been doing this for a couple years now and I am still amazed. I've always preferred Sirloin - I think the flavor is better .....and maybe I'm influenced by price more than I admit to myself. It was just that the meat was so much denser and often tougher. Pre-salting a decent sirloin and then grilling it well will give you a better steak than not-pre-salting a ribeye or strip, IMHO.

One note on this....salting is awesome...rinsing is critical, but pat the steaks dry with a paper towel before grilling/searing. Much better "crust" that way.

(Obviously I'm a steak fan...three posts!)