View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good Starter Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Great starter pipe, great price...

Ya know, MJ, I see where a lot of guys start with cobs because they're cheap, and have several benefits, but thinking back on my experience I don't think a cob is that good for a newbie pipe smoker...better would be a low maintenance pipe like the Pete above (will require very little break-in and be easy to clean) while actually cobs (IMHO) need a more experienced hand...you really have to know how to take it slow or you'll burn out a cob, and your tongue at the same time, and then there's the problem of building the floor of it up with pipe mud (cigar ash & saliva) so the draft hole is no higher than the bottom of the pipe to be able to smoke it all the way down...great price on that Pete above...
I actually think Cobbs are far more low maintenance than a briar pipe. You don't need to break in Cobbs by forming a cake, and cleaning is simply dumping out the tobacco and ash left in the pipe. After a day of aggressive piping, you can still smoke a cobb just as aggressively the next day, whereas you'll want your briar to sit at least a day to rest an dry out. Then, comes the whole journey of learning to light your pipe, which, will ruin (IMHO) any briar pipes in it's path. Cobbs are $5-7 and really wont be too missed if you char the hell our of the rim when learning to light.

OP: Either way Jim, now you have two opinions. The Peterson is definitely snazzy!