View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #1053
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

A couple weeks ago I cleaned all my saltwater stuff up, gave the tank, stand, and everything else to my brother that he'd need for freshwater.
19 or 20 years I spent nursing that livestock across 4 tanks.

I have to say that it was insanely fun at times. Like feeding starfish to clown shrimp and watching the male feed his mate first. So, so many insanely cool things along the way.
It's time to be done was about 5 years ago. I just lost desire to deal with it after I had a freeze and a couple tank-split floods and a couple crashes.
It took the spirit out of me.

I waffled on starting a new freshwater tank for about 6 months, and decided that it's time for me to take a break. I've been caring for a fish tank for at least 30 years. I'd say that's a reasonable run.

Still, to this day, the most fulfilling fish I ever kept were indigenous species.
A pair of Crappie, one white and one black were the prettiest fish I've ever kept, hands down. Absolutely stunning under the lights floating in crystal clear water.

Brad mentioned the money. I shudder to think. But it's a hobby. An expensive one as hobbies go, but way cheaper than sitting on a barstool, and far less expensive than any of the women I've dragged home over the years.

They have those little biocubes now. They work well with minimal intervention.
If it trips a guy's trigger, then he can pick up and learn from there and go bigger.
That kind of thing wasn't available back when I started. You went big or went home, and it cost an arm and a leg just to start. And it took 6 months before you could put a fish in the tank.
I'd suggest to anyone to give the hobby a try. The sky is the limit and it's easy now.
Personally, I'll just put the savings into more reef dives.