Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #319
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I guess I was stating from the fact that the last scene in season 1 was Daenerys Targaryen and the dragons that it would only make logical sense they have a decent bit of time in season 2. However this is not the case, as I said....deceiving and a bit disappointing.

Also, I deemed it filler because who didn't know the Lannisters would prevail? I never read the books but I knew that battle was over for Stannis before the episode aired. So why waste 10% of the season on it? Maybe I just prefer a good story to some action violence I could see in THOUSANDS of movies that has all been done before.

I really think all of the problems and my complaints lie in the small seasons for such a big show. Aren't the ratings enough to allow for 2 more shows budget? Even if it's mostly story and nothing big and expensive?

Or maybe I just like to b!tch a lot and should just enjoy the show for what it is not what it should be....
I think you nailed the issue right on the head there.

The battle at Blackwater was a HUGE part of the book - the tension leading up to it, the preparation leading up to it, the actual battle itself, and then all the character story lines that were affected by the battle - the fact that they dedicated an entire episode to it isn't surprising really.

The problem is though, that there is SO much in the book to cram into 10 episodes that you will feel like you're missing out on some things when you don't see most of the characters in one episode. Sure in the books you might go for half a book without hearing from one of the characters, but if you haven't read the books it can easily make the show feel like it's missing pieces. I personally didn't miss Jon, Daenerys, Robb, etc...because I knew they'd be back and the story was busy focusing on Stannis/Tyrion/Sansa.

I know this isn't the way it should be, but I feel like anybody who is watching the series should read the books, and anybody who read the books should watch the series. The show SHOULD be able to stand on its own in terms of comprehension of story lines and characters, but it is so much easier to understand it if you've read the books. Since I've read the books I'm just sitting back and enjoying seeing the visuals of all the things I remember, and whatever they're missing from the books I just fill in from my memories. The problem right there is if you haven't read the books you don't have that information