View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #896
fricky

Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
Can I get some opinions?

What do you guys prefer, Buffalo Trace or Willetts?
Haven't had the Willetts, but don't want to fork the cash 1st tasting.
This question is not easy to answer. Kentucky Bourbon Distillers does not yet have an operating still. They will have one ready to start in the near future. They have been buying whiskey from other distillers and aging it in their warehouses. The source of the whiskey is not made public.

They sell barrels and bottle the contents under the Willett label. They include proof, barrel number, bottle number, and the name of the purchaser on a separate label. I have bottles of 4, 6, 7, 12, 17, and 18 year old bourbons that were barrel proof and not chill filtered. I have Willett Rye that is 22 years old, barrel proof, and not chill filtered. The best bourbon with the Willett's label that I ever had was a 12 year sold by The Party Source in Bellvue, KY a few years ago. The Party Source has a few special Willett releases.

The Rye that I have is from barrels purchased by a few friends. The Rye is outstanding.

Compared to their special barrel-proof, non-chill filtered bourbons the bourbon in the pot-still bottle is mediocre.