First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bought first Pipe today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Bought my first pipe Saturday.
Thought I'd give piping a try after years of cigars. I know they are two different animals but I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable alternative.
Bought a couple of samplers, will be delivered this week and I'm pretty excited to see what's out there!!!
It is a different animal indeed. I never smoke cigarettes. But cigars since I was 17 in the Air Force in the RVN war. Nothing like building 500lb bombs with a stogie burning! Fast forward a few decades and I still dont care for ciggs.

But pipes I have had since 21. (off and on) They demand that you relax. A cigar you can clench and work hard or play hard. A pipe requires you to slow down and pace yourself and enjoy the tobacco and the smoke and the pipe.

Reflect on the pretty pipe you bought. Thats the best reason to buy a $100 pipe as any I have heard. (spend more if you have it)

Aromatics seem better at building a cake in the bowl I am finding. Get several if you like it as you need to rotate some so the pipes can dry out between smokes. I have 10 and thats not enough for me.

Only a very few are nice pipes. Some are Dr Grabow ('big pipe' is a good one) and some are hand mades. (Boswell pipes) One Savinelli Alligator, one B-C (Butz-Choquin) calabash, one 1950's pipe and cobs. See I dont have near enough!

You dont either! I chew my pipes too much so I put rubber bits on the end of the stem. Some hate that.

Get a nice drink or something cold, sit in a comfy place, use a soft flame and carry a couple of pipe cleaners with you, and slowly enjoy a whole different world. A very nice world at that!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote