View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #48
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

No matter what I've tried, the squash vine borers will not allow me to have squash much past late May. My mom and dad grow squash until the plants kill themselves with growth. Not fair at all. I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 pickings before wilt and death take over. Then the cuke worms come in the middle of summer. They will bore 10 holes or more in my cukes and make them inedible. Sure you could eat the fruit, worms and all, as they will taste like cukes, but it's a hard thing to do. I have to spray the small fruit and plants every few days if I'm able to have cukes. That's why I'm trying a bush variety this year. The trellis may make the opportunity more enticing for the little bastiges, so I'm going out-of-sight-out-of-mind this year. The skeeters and gnats are already out in force, so I can only imagine the onslaught this summer.