View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
morefifemusic

Default Re: McClelland Christmas Cheer 2008

Review by Curly Cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
Blind Review:

Packed a Stanwell Pot with the fully rubbed and hopefully thoroughly dried out tobacco, sat on the covered patio at the hotel before it got really cold out.

A very strong perfumy note is noticeable on the draws, more than when it's wet and fresh from the tin. the drying has helped a lot and not giving me any problems with being harsh.

I knew as soon as i saw and smelled this what it was. My first bowl didn't go very well as the standard problems i have with McClellands flakes were making themselves known.

If overpuffing, this can turn more zesty and less flavorful nearly biting.

(lucky me, the lawnmowing contractor for this hotel just decided to show up and start mowing around me)

I've noticed that I don't like using the tamper from my Old Boy, it just doesn't get the job done like a pipe nail, a mr.c tamper, or one of my own dowel rod creations.

about 1/3rd done, still the same flavors - a zesty virginia with that Christmas Cheer perfumy backdrop. I always have troubles with McClellands products staying lit, this one is no different after leaving it in a bowl overnight, then putting it back in a little baggie for a week. it feels brittle to the touch, but still won't stay going in one of my best smoking pipes.

now it seems to have changed to a slight "navy flake" flavor on the bottom 3rd. I kinda poke around the bowl, broke it up, re-tamped, re-lit, and got a strong zesty flavor, with hints of a port wine sweetnes (but it burned a bit on exhale thru the nose).

at the very end, knocked some ash out, re-lit, and it's still a nice zesty and slightly perfumy Virginia.