John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
John Ellefsen is on a distinguished road
Default Second hand humidor.

Hi!
So, I guess it's time for my first post in here.
I'm pretty new to cigars, at least new to the fact that I never had my own humidor before.
So when I got a box of some really nice cigars for my birthday I finally got the reason I needed to buy myself a humidor. I went "all the way" and got me a Adorini Chianti Deluxe. It's a really sweet humdior and it's supposed to hold 100 sticks.
Wel,, it's up and running and everything is honky dory.

Then...I found this online cigarshop that has some really good deals on cigars and I start buying boxes of cigars instead of singels. The Adorini can't hold boxes of cigars so I went and bought a second hand humi on the Norwegian version of ebay.

I got the humi in the mail today, and man have I been screwed!

Here's some pics of the humi:

Looks great huh?

One thing is for sure. I can season this for years, but I would never put my sticks or boxes of sticks in this one.

Problem numero uno: The humi is far from airtight. I can actually see through the gaps that appears when I close the door.

Problem 2: This box really smells. And I'm not talking about the sweet smell of cedar or cigars. the old humidificationsystem was still inside it and it contained a wet spunge. The humidor has been stored with this wet spunge inside it for years I reckon and hence the smell.

I have aired out the humidor and also placed a cup of bakingsoda inside it. Maybe I can get rid of that awful smell.

So what do you fine folks think? Is there any hope? Is there a good way to get this thing airtight again and finally, is there any good way to actually find out if the interior is cedar at all?

The brand of this humidor is Humidor Stars.

I have a feeling this humidor is beyond fixing, so right now I have a few of my guitars up for sale so I can get my hands on this one:
http://www.augusto.no/Shop/Product/A...luxe/NHA-CABAF
John Ellefsen is offline   Reply With Quote