View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on buying land?

Dan, I used to buy houses, rentals, investment property, etc. At that time, vacant land was considered the absolute worst possible investment a person could make so far as investment property goes.
If you guys are buying to enjoy it, I'd say that's as good an investment as one could make. Don't plan to get rich, take a look at the taxes, make sure you guys can afford it, and if you ever sell it, you may break even in the end. Think of it like buying any other toy you've ever bought, except with land comes a lot more pride and there's quite a feeling of liberty attached.
The wildcard is whether it'll end up leasing for drilling. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If the oil/gas companies have not decended on that area already, then you may not see that in your lifetime. They're cherry picking right now and there's not enough crews/equipment to drill all the land they've leased right now. It'll be years before they catch up.
My Lisa is a Landman. She works in buying/leasing oil/mineral rights, all the title/abstracting and stuff you as an owner would be concerned about. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk to you and fill you in on any questions you'd have about that end.
That'd get you educated on that part, but it all goes back to "if you guys are buying it to enjoy it, you can't lose".