View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #24
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Re-Upped my Cigar Oasis (picture intensive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
If I had to guess, the ambient humidity doesn't get too high where the OP lives (OH) even in the warmer months. I could be wrong though...
I wonder how big the humi is. Is this a cabinet or a desktop (a CO would be overkill for the standard desktop IMO)? If the seal is less then ideal, his set up should work no problem especially if he's in and out of it on a regular basis.
Bottom line IMO is that even if you put a glass of water in your cabinet humi, the RH won't spike like mad due to the lack of air circulation being forced over the surface of the water. I don't see how this would be any different.

Now, with that said, if the temp & ambient humidity gets high in the warmer weather you might run into problems keeping your RH low enough. In the OP you mention that beads weren't doing the trick for you... my is keep them in there anyways as they'll act as a desiccate should you ultimately need it.

I have the same humi as the OP and I run a hydra and I have a few ounces of beads in there as well. I never wet down the beads. They're just in there to mitigate any spikes in humidity and to keep the humidity down during the summer. I find the combination of the two work perfectly. Beads to keep the RH from getting too high and a hydra to keep the RH from getting too low!