View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #47
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Starting to like wine...the Red version

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Austrailian wine in general tastes too manipulated either by too much extraction, high alcohol, and almost all lack any terrior. They taste like concocted wine syrup. Mollydooker really typifies this new world style- which I am not a fan of. I am not singling out Mollydooker specifically, but lump it into with other Aussies like Thorne Clarke and Ball Buster…

My favorite Aussie and one I would point customers to is Torbreck’s “Woodcutter’s Reserve” Shiraz. Actually, Torbreck I would put on the top for mass produced Aussie wine.

Is Bud Light more acceptable as a beer just because it is outselling Anchor, Dogfish, and Dale’s? Certainly it is more acceptable to the bottom line of the balance sheet, but not as a fine beer.

You may sell more Wild Irish Rose than Petrus, but it does not legitimate Wild Irish Rose a contender in best wine prize.

Moses, it doesn't look we're getting through, seems like for some people here buying wine based on some arbitrary point score in a wine rag is good enough (do they buy cigars same way?).

I keep saying same thing you are about manipulation of wine in OZ, via huge expenditures into chem labs, and no, no one believes even though there is plenty of factual info available if one wants to explore (or is in business like I am and has to know what the competitors are up to). OX wineries are not shy about it, Yellow Tail is the prime example.

Inability of even seasoned palates to ID wines in a blind tastings consistently is a well documented fact by now yet it seems we now have 2 for 2 (second person in two weeks) claiming can easily do so. Even Parker makes mistakes in blind tastings he himself sets up and yet we have posters here who can. I guess they also have a nice bridge collection by now, too.

Recommending wines that do not even exist
("You Lie!") and then throwing a hissy fit when called on it.

So, I am attacked on the 3 points above, call the obvious bluff and chest beating, and then attacked some more in response. ("Gold, Jerry, it's gold!")

FUNNY...
Spekaing of alcohol, do you recall what alc level is that legendary 1947 Petrus?
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote