wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Nice smoker Steve. One day oh one day. I get whatcha mean now by sticks. I think yall would call the lump mesquite charcoal I was using sticks. LOL

And I guess if the chips aren't worth anything it doesn't really matter as they cost less than $10 total.
Steve has it right. Sticks = logs of wood. It's just a term thrown about, sorry for the confusion. Don't get me wrong chips are nice in say a gas grill to add a nice hint of flavor to a piece of meat, but in an offset smoker I think it would get lost. I understand you to have an offset smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Hard to say if it made a difference or not, since you were the only one sampling the end result.

When you're working with a strong wood like mesquite, especially in lump form, where you are going to have flavor infusion from the smoke/burn the whole time (up until the point is reached where the meat will no longer absorb). Apple is very mild, and while there is something to be said for mixing wood types to mellow the stronger woods, I don't know how much you are truly going to get out of 15-20 minutes worth of apple chips over a long mesquite cook.
There is also some discussion really whether or not lump charcoal of a particular type of wood can actually impart flavors based on the wood used. There is a very nice lump maker "Real Montana" lump charcoal and he says that you don't need any fruit woods with his lump because he is traping the flavor of the wood in his lump. However, Ro, Kingsford, etc (we'll call them national brands) have used hickory, mesquite and pecan woods in their lump for years. However people still need to add sticks for the respective flavor. What are your thoughts on lump adding particular wood flavor?