View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #47
wdwkelly

Default Re: Scotch's that wont break the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I used to be a very large (read: thousands of special bottlings and more of singles) collector of scotches. I am curious as to why a blend of Springbank isn't a blend?

For that matter, any non-single barrel is a blend. They key is to know what you are talking about.

Do you?

Cheap blends are cheap for a reason and expensive blends might be expensive for a reason. capiche?
Of course i know what I'm talking about. Single malts are just from the same distillery....different barrels.....(unless single barrel)The blend i was referring to " Campbeltown Loch is a blend of all scotch made at the same distillery. Its the only one like it. SOME don't consider that a blend....even though it is. Sort of.
But a single malt means just that..it is NOT a blend. By strict Scotland definition. A blend is from different distillers...and 99% of the time...YOUNG scotch. Hence...reason why they are cheap.
You saying all non single malts are blends unless single barrel....is 110% wrong. Its Scot. law how they are defined.
Campbeltown Lock is a "blend" that MANY will drink...that refuse to drink blends..due to its uniqueness of being 100% springbank and longrow scotch. All made under 1 roof.

Last edited by wdwkelly; 02-18-2015 at 06:36 PM.