Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #778
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Sous vide

Another successful pork belly in the books, possibly the best yet. Started with a 2lb belly, coated with salt and pepper then gave it a healthy bath of maple syrup, local honey and some espresso balsamic I'v had in the cabinet for years but never opened. Took that, draped one side in cheese cloth and layered on smoked onions. I'm really liking the cheese cloth move, if for no other reason than it looks very aesthetically pleasing when it's done and cheese cloth is very inexpensive.

Sealed that up a couple days ahead of time, then the night before I put it in a 170* bath for what ended up at about 8.5 hours. Took it out the next morning, filtered out that sweet sweet juice and hit the belly under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side. Took the juice, added extra honey syrup and balsamic as well as a little brown sugar, reduced the glaze down and coated the belly when it came out of the oven. After letting it sit another few minutes I sliced it up, this thing came out beautiful.

This is where I stopped taking pictures, but I ended up slicing further to end up with cubes approx. 1/2 inch per side. I cut some some potatoes, cooked in a dutch oven for a while with butter and duck fat, then added in some cut up onions and roasted bell peppers. Once that all melded I dumped in a bunch of the cubed pork belly, let everything cook together then transferred into a buttered dish, cracked a bunch of eggs on top and put in the oven at 450* for about 15 minutes. When it came out all the potatoes and pork and stuff were getting crispy, and the eggs were still runny. It was perfect

Still have about 6 ounces of cubed pork belly that went into the freezer, can't wait to make the same thing again with that in the future