View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #36
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1st attempt at smoking/grilling ribs tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Also, when I add more chips, should I stick with the hickory or throw a little mesquite in there? Should I soak the chips in a little water or no?
I would soak the chips, you could use mesquite I guess, it won't hurt. Also, basting is up to you, I make my ribs dry and as stated, usually have a pan or something to create moist heat. If you wish to baste, I would use the marinade but not for basting in the last 15 minutes or so. Raw meat sat in your marinade and if you apply it back to the cooked meat, you risk getting ill. If you baste early on in the game, the bacteria will dissapate as the temp climbs but if you baste and pull off the grill 15 minutes later or so, you're gambling in my opinion. You may also put on more rub but i typically do not. I prep my meat 2 days in advance and once it hits the smoker, it is untouched for the rest of the time. If you want, perhaps just baste with the apple juice, nothing else. I am trying to find pics of my ribs that I posted here once, I'll keep looking. ENJOY!!