View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #59
Wanger

Default Re: Boycotting the NFL in 2012

Some pretty strong opinions here. I'll voice mine now, too. There's a few issues here. Had the Saints stopped when they were told to, this would be a non issue. They were told to stop, and they didn't, then there was the lie and coverup. Additionally, there is all of the evidence that the league had against them. Whatever the documentation of the program is (e-mails, etc.), too. There's obviously no precedent for a team doing anything like this and being punished, so that's one of the big problems. IMO, they were slapped on the wrist a couple times, already, when the league told them to knock the $hit off. They kept doing it, showing a lack of respect for the league and their authority. What else were they to do? They had to mete out a punishment severe enough to let the team (and the rest of the league) that they mean what they say, and if you don't follow the rules, you're going to pay a hefty price. Was it too steep? Obviously to you, it was. Were it to happen to the Vikings, I'd say flat out fire the coach and GM, and let them deal with the suspension when they're out of work, or when (if anyone would hire them again) someone else decides to hire them. They knew the rules, and were reminded of them, but still went around it. IMO, it's much like the "lack of institutional control" charge that college programs deal with when an assistant and/or coach is violating rules, and the AD gets their hand slapped with that.

Now, did they end anyone's career? I don't know, honestly, but there was the intent to injure opposing players. I played enough football to know the brutality of it. At the same time, you weren't out there trying to cause an injury that could potentially end someone's playing days/career. With the knowledge of what concussions have done to some former players (Al Toon and Merril Hoge come to mind right away), going after someone's head in this day and age is beyond not cool. A coach who condones that, and a player who does that, too, is not someone I'd want to play for or with. The fact that Williams didn't care if they hit someone after the whistle (which I believe the tape that I've heard states) implies a disregard for clean play. Play to the whistle, and help your opponent up, not beyond it.

As for just knocking a player out for the game goes...well, that one has been debated a lot. Yes, these athletes have a lot better body control than your average Joe, but at the same time, there aren't many physics majors out there who know just the level of force to apply to cause a "minor" injury vs a "major" one.

I think the NFL's hands were tied a bit in regards to the punishment they handed out. They are being sued for not doing enough to protect the players' safety, especially in regards to concussions. Handing out a punishment like that says that they're serious about it, and want to protect the players.

It serves multiple purposes here, to show they want to protect players, and to serve notice to anyone else who thinks they can get around the rules that if they are caught, they will be punished severely.