View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #59
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Good espresso blends reward the brewer after a 9-bar+ extraction. The lower pressure mokapot leave espresso blends a little bite-ie, IMO. What passes for "the utterly stunning complexity of vanilla-scented 17-year old Madagascar arabica" under 9-bar of pressure might finish from a mokapot as, "just a little too bitey for me, thanks." Not to say you won't like moka made from espresso blends but you might like some single origin beans or conventional drip blends even more.

Lotsa kinds of coffee out there, each with its' own bright spot. Don't limit yourself. I don't ever recall saying this-or-that kind of coffee made moka I couldn't drink... it ALL drinks pretty good if it's fresh.
Sound advice. I've learned that for my Mukka/Mokapot brewing, I tend to like single bean in medium and dark roasts: South and Central Americans I'll do at either roast, but for the African beans I don't enjoy the dark quite as much (with a very few exceptions). When it comes to experimenting with my own blends, which I've been doing a lot lately thanks to a gracious and patient local roster, I'm now trying out mixing not only origins but roasts as well. It's great fun going through the combinations and finding unexpected flavors in your coffee every week or so.

For my french press, I make other choices. But that's another thread.

Will someone now please direct me to the crispy, thick bacon thread?