View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #46
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45set View Post
OK, the cigars weren't enough of an obsession / drain on the budget.
Last night I bought the Moka pot pictured above from Target (it is NOT a Brikka, but a 6 cup Moka).
Just brewed the first pot with whatever beans we have in the kitchen, using a whirly-blade grinder (it's the only one I currently have, taking baby steps here).
Sipping on it now, and while I understand this is the first batch out of a new device, it's very interesting to note the difference between the Moka coffee and the coffee from the Capresso brewer I usually drink (same beans, same grinder).
This brew is better than anything I managed to get out of the French Press I had years ago, this could get very interesting.
There is some underlying bitterness, but there is also a whole new palette of flavors at work here.
I do have one question, I pulled the pot off of the heat as soon as the flow of coffee changed from liquid to foam, as I didn't want to overcook it. Should I have left it for a bit longer, to let it develop its own "spume"?
It is still too hot to open to see how much water is left in the "little tank".
The top section filled to within less than an inch of the top, so I know I was getting close.
I also tried to not over apply the heat, started with the electric stove burner on Med, and dialed down just slightly when the coffee began to flow.
I know I am asking a pile of questions, but I am still new to this process.
Thanks for indulging my ignorance, and I look forward to what this little beastie can produce once it "cures".

Chris
Post #1, item #2 clearly states:

"Requirements:
a mokapot - smaller ones (1-3 cup) are the way to go. The big ones seem like a good idea but they are not. A one-cupper is very cool; two-cupper most useful; three-cupper for one hophead ex-crack addict or, perhaps, a normal married couple couple."

Six cuppers present their own special challenges, the least of which is, "Where will all the coffee come from and who is going to drink all that moka?" They're a bit harder to pack correctly because of the volume. If you're already happy given the that you're using a whirleyblade then you are going to be downright orgasmic when you get some med-fine burr-ground stuff in that brewer.

As far as heat and brewing, you'll have a hard time gauging the brew from a large pot with a whirleyblade. When you get some burr-ground just try to keep the brew moving slowly and steady according to heat on/heat off - aim for about 45-seconds to brew the pot from first drool to the moment brew starts to run clear.

I hope you get a lot of pleasure from the new mokapot.