View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #43
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemonkey View Post
Why shouldn't you clean with soap? If not soap, what then?
I don't really know how important the "no soap" admonition really is. That could be more conventional wisdom which is just silly, like the "never let french press coffee sit or it'll go bitter" (it doesn't).

The chatter sez that there is some kind of metallic flavor with new aluminum pots that goes away after you use them for a while (and don't soap them clean). Theory is that coffee oils lingering in the upper pot seal the aluminum and protect coffee flavor. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. (shrug-shrug)

As for me, I rinse lower, filter and upper with hot water after use. If I can see any grunge hanging on after a hot rinse I'll wipe them "clean" with a paper towel. Oils remain? Sure.

If the upper pot or filter start to look grungy (not too often) or smell anything except good (not too often) then I wash the whole shooting match with hot water, soap and a soft dishcloth or sponge (nothing that would scratch or scour the metal finish). Oils remain? No, except inside the centerpost. Taste suddenly suffers? I think not.

Your sense of taste may say otherwise.