View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: La Méthode de Jacques Puisais

So I had read about this method on another board when looking for "taste" techniques. I searched and found the same info was posted over here, so I'll continue my thoughts here.

For a while now I knew there was something funky about how the first 3rd or even half of my cigar was not tasting quite like the last 2/3 rd's or second half. It was a charring taste that had me rank some cigars lower than I might have. So in my ongoing study of taste I ran across the method the OP has listed, the "Puisais method" I guess it can be called. The first time I lit a cigar this way, I noticed that right away the same cigar which had tasted charred or even bitter before now tasted like the last half did.

Now I wondered if this was a one time phenomenon and decided I wouldn't post my results till I had tried it with a good number of familiar smokes and repeated the results. I feel I can now say throughout a variety of cigars and lighting in this method all have tasted MUCH better. To try and put it into words would be to say; If you were to rank a smoke a solid 7 due to the last half tasting so good where as the first half didn't, with this method you would then start at 7 and build after that point. I had particular troubles with Punch CC's tasting like burnt oak leaves for the first half. Now after using this method, they taste "on" from the first puff.

Granted this method takes a great deal longer time to start a cigar, but imo the results are far worth the effort. I will most likely be using this this method from here on out (unless I just want to get a stick burning IE; at a herf so I can be next in line at cornhole )

I want to add, I haven't tried this yet with a torch flame. I have only used soft flames (ST Dupont or matches). But I will be experimenting to see if a torch flame will make a difference. I'll post my results soon enough.