View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #387
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The WSM will never get much beyond 8 hours on one load of charcoal. It's easy to totally refill and not lose power. Pick the center top piece as one unit, dump more charcoal and put center/top back on. Takes one minute.

I would not feel comfortable for anything beyond 5 hours without intervention on the WSM.
I have done many, many 12-16 hour cooks on a WSM not using a water pan and using quality all natural briquets. Using a UDS I have had it at temp for 24-30 hours on one load of charcoal. During the warmer parts of the year, I have done tons of 16-20 hour cooks on the Spicewine. For long cooks having as many air leak spots sealed up is a must.

On the WSM I sealed the door with high temp stove cement and put stove gasket around the lid. I would have only one bottom vent barely cracked and it would chug along happily. If you are only able to get eight hours I would check for air leaks.