View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #583
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
Cool cigar mention in My Sister’s Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, en iTouch...
“So the guy bought a case of expensive cigars,” he says, “and had them insured against fire for $15,000. Next thing you know, the insurance company gets a claim, saying all the cigars were lost in a series of small fires.”

“He smoked them?” I say, washing the soap out of Jesse’s hair.
Brian leans against the threshold of the door.

“Yeah. But the judge ruled that the company guaranteed the cigars as insurable against fire, without defining acceptable fire.”…

"So who subpoenaed you?” I ask Brian. “The defendant?”

“The prosecution. The insurance company paid out the money, and then had him arrested for twenty-four counts of arson.”…

“The judge threw out the case, right?”

“The judge sentenced him to twenty-four consecutive one-year terms,” Brian says.
When was that published, honey? Reason I ask, that apocryphal old story has beer circulating around cigar BBs for years, and I wonder if Jodi started it or swiped it.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote