View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #167
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Hobby: Bee Keeping

Freaking awesome, Vin. Looks like you and Grace are well on your way to parenting 60,000 or so young girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I almost think that you should just let them keep all their honey, at least to the point where you end up with more
than one hive. Then maybe start taking some for daddy. I don't know if anyone really knows just how to keep the
bees around forever when they can't figure out what's really going on yet. In any case, you are a guy that goes over-
board to be kind, I am sure it will work out.
Agree. Conditions almost have to be perfect weather wise, to be able to 'rob' honey from a first year hive. A lot depends on how you want to manage your hive(s). You can take honey from your girls, but you'll most assuredly have to supplement their stores in late summer with a sugar solution. Personally I'm not a fan of this, but lots of beekeepers do this with great success. I would take one frame of honey though to reward all your hard work, Vin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Do bees do ok with cigar smoke?
There are some theories out there that say if you add a cigar leaf or two to your smoker, the natural insecticide in tobacco will help keep the varroa destructors (parasitic mites) at bay. Doubtful at best. I've done hive inspections without any protection other than a good Cuban cigar. Works sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I wish I was a bee.
You are beeutiful Tom, or a beeut as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Nope -- in fact, I wasn't shaking hard enough. They really just want to get into the hive and start doing bee stuff. Honey bees are pretty docile. It usually takes quite a bit for them to get aggressive.
Spring and Summer inspections are 'easy'. Just wait until they are defending their honey.
shade is offline   Reply With Quote