Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Make your own pickles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Wow, lots of great info/advice. Thanks! Now I need to buy a scale too. Off to walmart after work I guess. Well, I need to buy cheesecloth and cooking twine too.

Regarding the salt... I use Morton coarse grind kosher salt. Can't remember if that has additives in it or not, but I'll make sure before I use it.

I should really have an herb garden by now.
That's the blue box Morton's kosher salt, right? I think it has an anti-caking agent in it.

If you are going to wall-mart, just grab a box of the Morton's canning and pickling salt it has no additives whatsoever. Comes in a green box, it's cheap too, less than $2 for 4 lbs IIRC.

You don't have to use dill weed (leaf), you can do the whole thing with dill seed.

On the leaves - you can also use blackberry or rasberry leaves, just don't use too many as they have a stronger flavor. The leaves are there to provide tannins to keep the pickles somewhat crisp.

Remember, there are so many variables in this type of fermenting of foods that sometimes things will go better than others. It might take a few tries to get things the way you like them but the results are totally worth it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote