View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #968
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Well my wife got me a pipe for an anniversary gift. Seems I relight it a lot. Is there a point were you are relighting too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Only if the pipe is getting too hot. Typically when you get started it takes awhile to get used to the cadence so the baccy will go out fairly often. You'll eventually get used to it, but it takes practice. Also if its about to go out, but not quite out, try tamping while drawing on it, that can sometimes get you a full relight without touching the matches/lighter. Oh, and the baccy always plays a big part in how much it goes out. If its too wet, it won't want to burn and will go out all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
I'm not an experienced pipe smoker as I have just started, but I have found the different threads here, and also the different questions asked throughout THIS thread. I have also found youtube quite helpful with ideas and tips on how to pack and light different pipes, and different types of tobacco. It really helps being able to actually see someone do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
No
Lots of good stuff here. Wet tobacco means lots of relights. I like the idea of "cadence," never called it that before, but each tobacco (and then humidity in that tobacco) play a roll in how to keep it smoldering enough to stay lit - and then also how many lights you will need even if you find that "cadence."

I personally like flakes, but how dry they are and how much I rub them out will dictate the puff rate (cadence) of my smoke with each of them.

Each of your pipes will smoke differently too.

All this plays into this hobby. You'll get a feel for it.

I will admit a cigar is much easier for the puff rate is immediately noticeable. With a pipe, it is more subtle.

Enjoy it and be patient.

Peace of the Lord be with you.