Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Your iPhone, iPad is tracking you

In the past, I would have argued that the file would not be inspected because it was not germane to the issue at hand (traffic stop). However, it has been pointed out to me elsewhere by a college professor who does research on technologies to benefit police agencies, that the cellular record could easily indicate traffic infractions for which you weren't caught (but are infractions anyway), provided that the sample rate is fast enough (haven't downloaded the tool yet to see).

Apparently, there are several companies that are developing products that use this hidden file for tracking movements of people on parole and others (subject to voluntary consent or court order).

Fascinating tidbit for those of the Orwellian mind and certainly predicted when GPS units started being embedded in mobile devices. On the other hand, places like Oregon that want to embed a GPS in your car, so that you pay road taxes based on mileage rather than flat fees, may have just gotten a serious boost in favor since the proposal is now well known not to be new.