View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #176
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
What I think a lot of people confused with too much smoke is actual the creosote that is deposited on meat that has been exposed to smoke that is not clean. I really don't think it makes any difference how much smoke you put to the meat as long as it is clean. White/grey smoke is dirty and will give you that off taste. All IMO only!!!
I think we're saying same thing? Simply that there is a point at which meat will not get any more "benefit". With the electric I use, even that small amount of wood gives enough smoke for about 2+ hours, at the least, at the lower temps (I use 180-190). For cold smoke, just a tiny bit and enough to get the smoke going (once you see the smoke coming out, you turn the thermo off after 20 minutes, you're done). More wood gives too much smoke flavor and I can attest to that.

As for the "cleanliness" of the smoke, or more specifically, color of it, I thought color mostly depends on the amount of (remaining) water in the wood? "Greener" wood leads to darker smoke?
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote