First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: hmm... got a pipe... now what? :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Wow.

See the FAQ and Shape Chart links at the top/left of this page for more info still. http://www.aspipes.org/

You have a lot to choose from. Start your cleaning experiments on something, uh, less special. Which is that? Ask. Stems on most (but not all - Kaywoodies in particular) pipes are intended to be twisted off (and put back on, too) in a clockwise direction. If something won't budge with only gentle force, stop and ask. There are tricks for unsticking things without snapping stems or shanks. (Don't mess with the Dunhill 'til you know what it is and how to fiddle with it properly.) If you lay in some olive oil, a reamer, some MicroMesh paper (3000 to 12000 grit), cotton balls, Everclear and Halcyon or Paragon pipe wax they can all look like new (before winter is over, maybe. )

I would be a kid in a candy shop with that collection. Have fun.
VERY nice collection there francis....
first thing you want to do, judging from the pics is give many of those pipes a good reaming....if there is not a reamer in the accessories you found with them, the pipe shop can sell you one...
that meershaum is a beaut and a very valuable collectors item....and there may well be some other similar ones in there....any names like dunhill, savinelli, costello, (most of the italy ones) are all very good pipes....then find a couple of the less valuable ones, i.e. kaywoodie and start with those as far as reaming and cleaning....

you can also probably get some good samplers of tobacco at your pipe shop to experiment with flavors until you find one you like best.

good luck, enjoy....im envious of that collection...

p.s. you can always send em to me.....