View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up Carlos Torano Virtuoso

Cigar Name: Carlos Torano, Virtuoso.
Cigar Size: Encore 4.7"x52.
Wrapper Type: Maduro.

Well last week I went a we-bit overboard. I smoked 5 cigars in one week. Most I have ever done. This week I promised myself I wouldn't have more than 2 cigars, as 2-3 is my normal. Decided to make the most of it and enjoy a real fine cigar. We had a fire with our neighbors and we just sat around it smoking our cigars and drinking our beers (root beer for me!).

This cigar was gifted to me by Criminal over a year ago. From what he told me, it was from the original release of the cigar and had already been aged for about 3 years. So I got to figure this cigar has at least 4-5 years on it. Its a beautiful cigar, I've been looking forward to this for quite some time.

Construction: 10/10

Perfect. Very nice Maduro wrapper, no cracks veins or flaws other than a small sun spot the size of a toothpick. Just gives it character in my opinion! The cigar is very solid and heavy in hand.

Flavor: 20/25

From what I recall on my first one of these, they were some what similar to a CAO Brazilia. Which is funny because they are actually made in the same factory. It's medium-full in flavor, primary flavor are woody tones, light cedar, a bit of leather and cocoa. Had just a touch of earthiness to it as well. I really enjoyed the flavor.

Draw: 9/10

Exceptional draw. Almost perfect but it would take a couple draws for it to get smoke. I normally do a quick draw to re-ignite, a short draw to bring smoke through the cigar, and then a full draw to take in the smoke.

Burn: 9/10

As close to perfect as it can be. Never got more than a quarter inch uneven from side to side.

Ash: 5/5

Was dark so I couldn't quite see the color of the ash, but it held initially for over 2" before I manually ashed it into the fire pit.

Smoke: 5/5

Once I was able to draw some smoke after a couple draws it was exceptional. A LOT of smoke. My neighbor always hates my stinky cigar smoke and it was blowing in his direction, he changed seats before long. Sorry Theo!

Impression: 31/35

Simply put, this cigar was just great. It really is an under appreciated cigar. $4.00 a stick and available in a great selection of sizes. Every aspect about this cigar was simply fantastic. Near perfect burn and draw, amazing construction, great flavor and a very budget friendly price.

Overall Rating: 89

If your a Maduro fan or a enjoy the CAO Brazilia and Italia, I would suggest giving this fuller-bodied maduro a try as well. From what I read they are manufactured in the same facility. It definitely has some characteristics of the CAO Brazilia, which is one of my all time favorites.

Last edited by pnoon; 09-25-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: removed link