First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Totally Ridiculous!!!

I would not pay a dollar over MSRP, which is too much as it is. Hey, it's a great rye bourbon but it's not the Holy Grail. There are a lot of great rye bourbons out there!
Johnny, Van Winkles have wheat as their small grain. And the thing is, other than Maker's most people haven't tasted wheated bourbon. Many people prefer the wheated profile and find it is smoother. But when they go into a liquor store or bourbon bar and ask, "I really like Maker's but want something better." guess which name has always been provided? (Fitzgerald, Weller, Rebel Yell aren't it). People want to look cool, or at least not a novice when ordering, serving, or gifting.

Heaven Hill ingeniously introduced the wheated Larceny to fill Van Winkle void. It is Fitzgerald with a hip name and is "100 barrel small batch" (11,400 bottles). It's good bourbon, not stupid expensive. It isn't unreasonable to believe it has to be better than $10 Old Fitz Prime (which is available in a 750mL curved plastic traveller.) Annoyingly though Old Fitz 100 and Very Old Special Fitz 12 are missing from most shelves. Guess where the barrels are going.

My cousin (a DR.) took me to a bourbon bar he frequently visits since it is right up the street. He ordered a double VWFR and generously offered to buy me one. Instead of being appreciative, I had fun and loudly asked for bottom shelf Very Old Barton BiB ($14 750 retail) "over lots of crushed ice". I got looks, my intended effect. My cousin accused me of being a hipster and going for irony. I told him to taste it. He said it wasn't as good as VW and I agreed. He also asked me to buy him VOB for the second round.

More rambling, you asked for it.

Last edited by OHMatt; 03-13-2015 at 03:21 PM.
OHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote