Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: college major, advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
College is what you make of it. In a liberal arts college, the idea is to teach you how to think, which is a defined skill in itself. Generally, I think these people benefit most from further education that focuses into specialized fields (graduate school).

For those who do not wish to spend extra years/$ for further education, my advice would be to attend a university instead, and major in a field of study through one of the colleges.
The top rated Liberal Arts school in the US is Reed College in Portland. This school has produced more than its share of millionaire / billionaire venture capitalists and counts people like Steven Jobs among their former students. Their placement rate is almost 100%. Those who go on to computer science at my institution (Portland State University) are among the best prepared for graduate school. Some go on to the Sloan School at Harvard, etc. but not even one-third get a second degree as they are highly sought out with their undergraduate liberal arts degrees.

To some degree, it is the institution, but mostly it is the person who determines success.

Many millionaires are engineers and computer scientists but many more are not.

If you plan to get a degree, get it in an area you truly enjoy. Getting a CS degree just to make money is a sure way to unhappiness and also flunking out of school.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote