Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Please read...credit card compromised

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Seems like it's not a problem with the vendors, per se, but with the common credit card processor used. I believe that the *vendors* don't keep the credit card information (or even see it); but the processor they use have traces (records) of that in their system.

But the instances where no card was used at the offending sites might be just an example of a different kind of fraud. It seems that there are distinct/different kinds of charges that are coming up, which might indicate completely separate criminal rings. An unfortunate coincidence that they're happening at the same time ... in part because it confuses the issue.

Scary stuff....
I guess I can comment on this. Some merchants can and do have access to full credit card numbers and exp. dates. They can have this info on their reports as long as it is under lock and key somewhere. But there has been a large movement to make all reports truncated, meaning that all the merchants have access to ONLY the last 4 digits of the card. My company, Heartland, strongly recommends this and really frowns upon merchants having access to all numbers and exp. dates.

When we had our breach there were serious rumblings about the Russian Mob being heavily involved in this kind of activity.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote