View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: More Questions :) What is Cellaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Rule of thumb about aging sealed tobaccos -

1. english blends tend not to show great improvement over time
2. most burley blends aren't known for their development over time
3. virginia tobaccos tend to improve over time
This is most certainly true, but I'd add a little something

Virginias and Va/Pers age very well, and may even change drastically.

That means also that any blends containing a good amount of virginia have a good possibility of aging well - including English and/or Oriental blends.

If you want to cellar for aging purposes, whatever you sit aside - whether sealed tins or bulk in mason jars - leave alone and do not open.

If you are cellaring just to keep a little tobacco on hand (what I do) and buying by the pound (it is cheaper that way), get some smaller mason jars. I like 1/2 pint jars, and a pound will usually garner four 1/2 pint jars. Unintentional aging.

The nice thing about using mason jars, you can open them occasionally to draw tobacco out and it will remain fresh. The seal on the lids is usually very good.